Spring in Voyageurs sees melting snow turn to slush and the lakes beginning to thaw out. The park is slowly transitioning from winter’s icy grip into summer’s long days of boating, fishing, hiking, and campfires.
Spring in Voyageurs sees melting snow turn to slush and the lakes beginning to thaw out. The park is slowly transitioning from winter’s icy grip into summer’s long days of boating, fishing, hiking, and campfires. Spring will see few visitors to this area as most wait for summer’s warmer temperatures and increased opportunities to arrive.
Spring Monthly Temperatures in Voyageurs
|April||51F / 27F|
|May||67F / 40F|
|June||74F / 49F|
Things to See in Voyageurs
Spring Activities in Voyageurs
Spring is a time of gradual transition in Voyageurs. The vast lakes are slowly melting as the snow and ice begin to loosen their grip on the area. This time of year sees few visitors to the park beyond locals as most tend to wait until the warmer long days of summer. The ice on the lakes typically thaw out by late April, but have also been known to linger into mid May. If you travel to Voyageurs during this time it’s important to check the park website for safety guidance on the lakes. Popular Spring activities in Voyageurs include:
- Visit the historic Kettle Falls Hotel in the heart of the park for some refreshments with a view.
- Tie off your boat at Ellsworth Rock Gardens and marvel at the beautiful monolithic art all created by one reclusive man.
- Explore Gold Portage in it’s fall splendor, an area known to locals as a wildlife hot spot. If you’re lucky you might even spot a moose!
- Rent a houseboat with the family or a group of friends and tour the lakes in style. Many rental outfits offer discounts in this slower season (starting October 1)
- Take in the majesty of the Northern Lights. On clear nights in the fall and winter visitors have a chance to be treated with some of the most spectacular displays of the aurora borealis found anywhere in the world.
Namakan Lake | Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota
Interested in what Voyageurs is like during other times of the year? Check out our Voyageurs Seasons & Weather page to learn more about which season is best for your visit to the park. Our personal favorite is Fall but Spring & Summer are nice as well… and then there’s Winter which is… well, the coldest place in the continental USA!
Voyageurs by Season
EXPERIENCE VOYAGEURS IN 8K
This film is the culmination of several weeks spent in the northernmost region of Minnesota known as Voyageurs National Park. Encompassing more than 340 square miles, Voyageurs is a watery wonderland almost exclusively accessible by boat. Journey with us as we explore a land blanketed in pristine lakes, erupting with kaleidoscopic fall colors, and home to the most spectacular displays of the northern lights on the planet. This is Voyageurs. Filmed primarily in stunning UHD 8K.